Year 01: The UMJC Conversion Position Paper – The Majority Position, Preamble

As we get back to the topic of Messianic Jewish conversion, I thought it would be good to look again at my series of posts from January 2005 relating to the UMJC Position Paper on the topic with my commentary:

At the September 1983 UMJC conference, a show of hands indicated that roughly 90% of the congregational leaders represented favored the Majority Position in opposition to the conversion of Gentiles to Messianic Judaism and the remaining 10%, the Minority Position that supported the conversion of Gentiles to Messianic Judaism.

The full statement will be analyzed in a series of posts. In the final posting I will provide a link to the full set of postings in one full paper.


1. Despite inferential, contrary arguments, a clear biblical emphasis plus serious practical problems should prevent the UMJC from promoting any such conversions.

This appears to be more of a preamble to the statement’s further points which the statement will elucidate in the other points.

So then I will lay out a guiding view on my part to the issue. Based on the apocalyptic worldview of the early Messianic Jews, who believed the end of the age was quickly approaching and the return of the Messiah would be in their lifetime, we are left without clear guidance from the Brit Chadasha for our issue of conversion of non-Jews in Messianic synagogues outside of two issues:

1. The required conversion of non-Jews to Judaism before becoming followers of Yeshua, which was addressed in Acts 15

2. Conversion to Judaism to become a “super believer” as appears to be the problem addressed in Galatians

The conversion of a committed non-Jew to Messianic Judaism out of their desire to fully connect with Am Israel is not an issue addressed in the Brit Chadasha and with the apocalyptic vision of the early Messianic Jews this issue was not of importance to them with the soon end of the age.

Next up point 2 and the issue of conversion by Gentile believers to Orthodox, Conservative or Reform Judaism.


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s